Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 3

Bunny with legs AND bunny without.
A smile of ANOTHER color.
Today didn't go so well. She didn't want to go to school this morning (as I figured) but the day was still doomed.

Kate is already bored with the clay, so it took some doing to get her to start on the word list. She's supposed to make the 'trigger words'- 206 of them in all, in clay, along with a 3D sculpture of something to help her remember it. After reading through the list several times, she finally agreed to do 2 words, 'another' and 'and'. Here's what she made.

Then I had the brilliant idea to put on a movie for Ella while I read with Kate. Not such a brilliant idea, as Kate would rather watch TV than read, DUH! So, she was un-cooperative, and despite me keeping my cool and trying to reason with her, she ended up in her room in tears, until she was 'ready to go to work'. Note to self, NO TV before school! Ella and Zeke will just have to be banished to the play room for an hour every morning.

Chris's words keep echoing in my head, "Just make it fun. HAVE fun."

I'm not having fun. I don't know how to make this fun. She hates to read. Period.

She came out 10 minutes later and told me she wanted to go back to school.

Great.

I told her to talk to her father about it when he came home. I can't even get into that discussion with her, I'll lose it. I know she'll probably change her mind tomorrow, she probably just said it because she was upset, blah blah blah. All I heard was, "You suck at this Mom. I don't want to do it with you!"

But, I rallied. I thought maybe a list of things she could check off would motivate her, so I made out the list of things we needed to do.

1. Read to me
2. I read to you.
3. Finish math work from school.
4. Write in your journal.
5. Clay words
6. Spelling words.

That seemed to do the trick, as I let her choose what order to complete her tasks in, and she got to check it off the list when we were done. Seriously, it takes us maybe an hour to do all these things. It should be EASY!

Think positive... faith not fear... tomorrow will be better... perseverance.... AAAGGGHHH!!!

2 comments:

  1. Does she have to get through all the clay stuff before moving on to the other stuff? I'm sure it's hard for you. You can do it though, you are a smart, talented, dedicated mother who knows what is best for her girl. I hope it all goes better the last two days of the weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man her clay work is awesome.
    Nothing good comes easy right?

    ReplyDelete